You are visiting a page of Cryes in North America

 Cry Men in Illinois Civil War Units

Name Company and Regiment Home


Illinois Veterans On-LineDataBase  

Histories of Illinois Civil War Regiments and Units

The following histories of Illinois Civil War regiments and units originate from the first eight volumes of the nine volume publication, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois (1900-1902). (The ninth volume lists units of the Black Hawk, Mexican and Spanish-American Wars as well as the War of 1812.) The histories, some written shortly after the warís end, are the work of numerous authors throughout the intervening years. The 1886 version of the Adjutant Generalís Report included regimental histories compiled by that office which had not previously been published. The final 1900-1902 republication of the report incorporated revisions and corrections to the histories.

A listing of regiments and units which have accompanying histories follows. In recognition of the service of Illinoisí six regiments during the Mexican War, the assignment of regimental numbers for infantry began with seven. Please click on the bookmark for the desired regiment or unit to get to the history for that regiment or unit.

33rd Illinois InfantryTop

The THIRTY-THIRD INFANTRY ILLINOIS VOLUNTEERS was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, in the
month of September 1861, by Colonel Chas. E. Hovey, and mustered into the United States
service by Captain T. G. Pitcher, U.S.A.

September 20, moved to Ironton, Mo., via St. Louis. Remained at Ironton during the winter,
with occasion scouts into the country. On one of these the battle of Frederickstown was fought-Company
A on skirmish line. March 1862, moved, with the command of General Steele,
southward, passing into Arkansas at Pitman's Ferry, and marching, via Pocahontas and
Jacksonport, to Batesville, where it joined General Curtis' army; thence, via Jacksonport, Augusta
and Clarendon, to Helena.

July 7, at Cache creek, or Cotton Plant, several companies participated in a battle with Texas
rangers, in which Company A rescued and brought off a field piece belonging to our cavalry.
The rebels had a large number killed, and were pursued for some miles. According to our official
report, one hundred and twenty-three rebel dead were found on the main battlefield, and a
number were killed in the pursuit. Seven were killed and fifty-seven wounded on the Union side;
none killed in the Thirty-third.

During July and August were camped 20 miles south of Helena, and engaged in eight expeditions
up and down the river.

September 1, was moved up the river to Sulphur Springs, and thence to Pilot Knob, where it
arrived the middle of October 1862.

November 15, moved to Van Buren, Ark., in Colonel Harris' Brigade, Brigadier General W. P.
Benton's Division, of General Davidson's Corps. Made winter campaign in Southeast Missouri,
passing through Patterson, Van Buren, Alton, West Plains, Eminence and Centreville, and
returned to Bellevue Valley, near Pilot Knob, about March 1, 1863.

The Thirty-third was then directed to St.. Genevieve, Mo., where with the command, it embarked
for Milliken's Bend, La. Attached to the First Brigade, First Division, Thirteenth Army Corps, it
was engaged in all its battles, participating in the battles of Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Black
River Bridge, assault and siege of Vicksburg, and the siege of Jackson.

April 28, in company with a large force, embarked and ran down to Grand Gulf, where we
watched the five-hours fight between the gun-boat fleet and the rebel batteries. The fleet having
failed to silence the rebel guns, the troops marched across the bend to the river below, and the
fleet ran past during the night, through a heavy fire, which however did but little injury even to
the frail transport boats.

Next day, April 30, again embarked, ran down the river some miles, and landed on the
Mississippi side. May 1, the Regiment opened the fight on both the right and the left of the field;
and the Thirteenth Corps mainly fought and won it. Four companies off the Thirty-third under
Major Potter deployed as skirmishers on the left, developed the position of the enemy, and drew
an artillery fire, holding the position until relieved by General Osterhaus' Division.

Next morning, May 2, entered Port Gibson without further resistance, found the suspension
bridge across the bayou burned; and the Thirty-third built, in four hours, a practicable floating
bridge, ever which the army marched.

On the 16th, was fought the battle of Champion Hills.

The 1st Division was held in reserve until near the close, but was in the advance in the pursuit,
and pressed the enemy closely until dark, when it halted at Edward's Station, and captured there
a quantity of stores. Early in our advance, two men of Company C were killed by a stray or
accidental shot.

At daybreak, May 17, were in motion, the Thirty-third leading the advance and mostly deployed
as skirmishers. Before 7 a.m. were engaged with the rebel works in front of the bridge and trestle
at Black River. At about 10 a.m., a grand charge swept the enemy out of their works, capturing
many hundreds of prisoners. Seventeen pieces of artillery were taken, fourteen of them being
seized by men of the Thirty-third regiment. Company B was detailed to escort the captured
cannon to Haines' Bluff.

May 19, first saw the fortifications of Vicksburg, moved up through the valleys under their fire,
and at one time had preliminary orders to join in Sherman's partial assault, but received no final
order to charge. Details took part in the fighting as sharpshooters. May 20, Captain Norton was
wounded by a "spent ball", and Captain Kellogg was killed.
May 22, joined in the grand assault. Three companies were sent out as sharp-shooters, and
Company B was on detached duty, leaving six companies to charge in line-probably not
exceeding two hundred and fifty men. Seventy-five or six of these-nearly one-third-were hit,
twelve being killed on the field, and several mortally wounded. Reached the rebel works, but
were repulsed with the rest of the army; and at nightfall withdrew to a less exposed position, and
began the six-weeks' siege.

June 1, a careful compilation of losses since crossing the river, showed nineteen of the Regiment
killed in action, and one hundred and two wounded, of whom ten had already died in hospital.
Some additional loss was suffered during the rest of the siege. July 4 came a welcome surrender
of the rebel stronghold and its garrison of over thirty thousand men.
Again no time was wasted in ceremony. July 5 marched with the main army to Black River to
oppose General Johnston; and by the 10th had pushed the enemy back to Jackson. On the night
of the 16th the place was evacuated. After tearing up the railroad tracks for some miles, returned
to Vicksburg July 24.

In August, moved to New Orleans, with the Thirteenth Corps. In October, with Brigade of
Colonel Shunk, Eighth Indiana, Major General C. C. Washburne's Division, and Major General
E. O. C. Ord's Corps, engaged in the campaign up the Bayou Teche. Returned to New Orleans in
November. Thence ordered to Brownsville, Texas, but, before landing, was ordered to Aransas
Pass. Disembarked on St. Joseph Island, marched up St. Joseph Island and Matagorda Island to
Saluria, participating in the capture of Fort Esperanza. Thence moved to Indianola and Port

The First Brigade, while on the main land of Texas, was commanded by Brigadier General Fitz
Henry Warren.

January 1, 1864, the Regiment re-enlisted as veterans, and March 14 reached Bloomington,
Illinois, and received veteran furlough.

April 18, 1864, Regiment was reorganized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and proceeded to New
Orleans, via Alton and St. Louis-arriving 29th, and camping at Carrollton.

May 17, ordered to Brashear City, La. Soon after its arrival the Regiment was scattered along
the line of the road, as guard, as follows: Company F, C and K, at Bayou Boeuf; Company I,
Bayou L'Ours; Company A and D, Tigerville; Company G, Chacahoula; Company E, Terre
Bonne; Company B, Bayou Lafourche and Bayou des Allemands; Company H, Boutte.
Regimental Headquarters, Terre Bonne. The District was called the "District of Lafourche",
commanded by Brigadier General Robert A. Cameron, Headquarters at Thibodaux.
September 17, 1864, the non-veterans of the Regiment were started home, via New York City, in
charge of rebel prisoners, and mustered out at Camp Butler, about October 11, 1864.
March 2, 1865, ordered to join the Sixteenth Army Corps. Near Boutte Station the train was
thrown from the track, and nine men-five of A, three of D, and one of G-were killed; and no less
than seventy-two more were enumerated by name and description as more or less injured, many
of them very severely, two or three of whom subsequently died in hospital, and others were
discharged from service disabled. The heaviest loss in wounded fell upon Companies A and D,-G,
E and I coming next in number, and every company suffered more or less, except C and F,
which were in the rear of the train.

On the 18th, Regiment embarked on Lake Pontchartrain, for Mobile expedition. Company K,
remaining behind to guard transportation, joined the Regiment April 11, at Blakely. Moved, via
Fort Gaines and Navy Cove, landed on Fish River, Ala., and marched with General Canby's army
up east side of Mobile Bay. The Regiment was in the First Brigade, Colonel W. L. McMillan,
Ninety-fifth Ohio; First Division, Brigadier General J. McArthur; Sixteenth Army Corps, Major
General A. J. Smith.

March 27, arrived in front of Spanish Fort, the main defense of Mobile, and, until its capture,
April 8th, was actively engaged. Loss, one killed, two died of wounds, and nine wounded.
After the surrender of Mobile, marched, April 13, 1865, with the Sixteenth Corps, for
Montgomery, Alabama, where it arrived on 25th, and encamped on the Alabama River. Here it
received the news of Lee and Johnson's surrender, after which its operations were not of a hostile

May 10, marched to Selma, and May 17, by rail, to Meridian, Mississippi. Here remained. In
the latter part of July the Regiment was filled above the maximum, by men transferred from
Seventy-second, One Hundred and Seventeenth, One Hundred and Twenty-second and One
Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois.
Moved to Vicksburg, April 14, 1865, and remained at that place until mustered out of service,
November 24, 1865, and ordered to Camp Butler, Illinois, for final payment and discharge.
December 6, 1865, the enlisted men of the entire Regiment received their final pay, and
discharge from the military service, at the hands of Paymaster Maj. Carnahan. The
commissioned officers were paid and discharged next day, December 7, 1865; and the Thirty-third
Illinois Regiment ceased to exist. Its record of over four years of faithful service was

From first to last, about nineteen hundred and twenty-four names were borne on its muster rolls.
The Regiment had three Colonels, six Lieutenant Colonels, and five Majors. Four companies
had two Captains each; four had three each; one had four Captains, and one five. Only one of the
original field and staff officers belonged to the Regiment at the final discharge-Surgeon Rex. Of
the line officers, two only remained who had been officers at the outset-Captains Smith and
Lyon-and they had been promoted from Lieutenants; all the other line officers had "risen from
the ranks"; as had also the Major, Adjutant and Quartermaster.


105th Illinois Infantry

service of the United States, September 2, 1862, at Dixon, Ill.

On the 8th, moved to Camp Douglas. On the 30th, left Camp Douglas for Louisville, Ky.,
arriving on the 2d of October, and, reporting to General Dumont, was attached to his Division,
Brigadier General W. T. Ward's Brigade. On the 3d moved in the direction of Frankfort; arrived
on the 9th, after a severe march. Were engaged in guard and picket duty, with occasional slight
skirmishing with the enemy. While at Frankfort, made a raid to Lawrenceburg, and returned.
On the 26th, moved, en route to Bowling Green, arriving on the 4th of November, and remaining
one week, was ordered to Scottsville. November 25, moved to Gallatin, Tenn.; December 11,
moved to South Tunnel; February 1, 1863, returned to Gallatin, remaining till the 1st day of June
1863, when it moved to Lavergne. From thence to Murfreesboro, Tenn., returning to Lavergne
the last of July. Moved to Nashville, August 19. Was quartered in Fort Negley, doing guard duty
in it and the city of Nashville. Exchanged the Austrian musket, with which the Regiment had
been armed, for the Springfield rifle musket. Meanwhile, it was attached to the Eleventh Army
Corps, Major General O. O. Howard, commanding.

On the 24th day of February 1864, it took the line of march in the direction of Chattanooga,
Tenn. On the day of March, it arrived at Wauhatchie, at which place it remained until the 2d day
of May, being brigaded with the One Hundred and Second and One Hundred and Twenty-ninth
Illinois, Seventieth Indiana and Seventy-ninth Ohio, with which it remained during the war. In
the meantime, the Eleventh and Twelfth Army Corps were consolidated, under the name of the
Twentieth Army Corps, Major General Joseph Hooker commander.

May 2, moved to Gordon's Mills. May 6, marched to Leet's farm; thence to Taylor's Ridge, on
the 7th. May 10, moved to Snake Creek Gap. May 12, to Sugar Valley. May 13, moved in the
direction of Resaca, Ga., skirmishing that evening and the next day. The morning of the 15th,
moved with the Corps to the extreme left of the lines, immediately upon its arrival taking part in
a charge upon the enemy's works, which were carried, losing several men in the engagement. On
the 16th, pursued the retreating enemy, arriving at Calhoun on the 17th. On the 18th, moved to
near Cassville. On the 19th, the One Hundred and Fifth being the advance, skirmished with the
rear guard of the enemy, driving them at every point. Remained near Kingston until the 23d,
when ordered forward, crossing the Etowah River. 24th, moved to Burnt Hickory. On the 25th,
continuing its march towards Dallas, Ga., encountering the enemy, having a brisk engagement
till dark, the casualties numbering fifteen, including two commissioned officers.
From this time until the 1st of June, the Regiment was engaged in advancing the line, building
and strengthening the works and skirmishing, losing 16 men.

On the 1st of June moved to the extreme left, with the Twentieth Corps. On the 2d, the One
Hundred and Fifth was ordered out as flankers, in which position it lost a most excellent officer,
Surgeon Horace S. Potter, being killed by a shell. On the 3d, moved around and beyond the
enemy's right, encamping near Ackworth, Georgia. Here it remained until the 6th, when it
moved forward and took position near Golgotha Church, in line of battle, throwing up
entrenchments and remaining until the 15th, when it again moved forward, encountering the
enemy behind breastworks. A steady fire was kept up until dark. That night and the next day
(the 16th) was occupied in strengthening the position, by erecting breastworks, being exposed to
the fire of the enemy. Lost 19 men during the two days. The night of the 16th, the enemy
retreated. On the 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th, followed the retreating enemy, with slight
skirmishing, at intervals. 21st, severe skirmish firing. 22d, moved forward about a mile, in close
proximity to the enemy's works, exposed to their fire - losing 11 men. The enemy evacuated his
position during the night of July 2. On the 3d, moved in the direction of Marietta, Ga. The
Brigade to which the One Hundred and Fifth was attached being the advance, skirmished with
the enemy - losing 1 man killed and 2 wounded. Camped about four miles from Marietta, Ga., in
plain view of a portion of the rebel army. On the evening of the 4th, continued the march in the
direction of the Chattahoochie River, camping within two miles of that stream, on the north side,
the night of the 6th. Remained there until the 17th, when it crossed the river and encamped until
the afternoon of the 18th. Moved forward about five miles and rested till the morning of the
20th. Crossed Peach Tree Creek and came upon the enemy. A line of battle was formed - a
charge of the enemy was repulsed in the afternoon, and several prisoners captured; also, the
colors of the Twelfth Louisiana. 21st, was occupied in burying the dead of both sides, and
collecting and turning over ordnance and other property. On the 22d moved forward about three
miles, where the enemy was again encountered, posted behind the defenses of Atlanta.
Entrenchmentís were immediately thrown up. Remained in this position until the 26th, when
relieved and placed on reserve. 29th, moved six miles to the right of the lines. Making the
position secure by throwing up works, remained until the 2d day of August. Returned to the left
and took position, which was fortified and strengthened. Constant skirmishing and artillery
firing was kept up until the night of the 25th of August, when ordered to fall back to the
Chattahoochie River. Here it remained until the 27th when it took position on the north side of
that stream, doing picket and guard duty.

The 2d day of September, the city of Atlanta surrendered. The Regiment remained in the vicinity
of Atlanta until the 15th of November, when the "grand march to the sea" was began. The One
Hundred and Fifth accompanying the expedition, bore its full share of the trials and hardships
incident thereto. Passing on the route, Decatur, Sithonia, Social Circle, Rutledge and Madison,
at which last named place it arrived on the 19th of November. From thence, marching
southward to the city of Milledgeville, the capitol of Georgia, arriving on the 22d, and remaining
until the 24th. Thence to the north of the Mississippi and Georgia Central railroad. Passing
through Sandersville, Davisboro, and Louisville - (the One Hundred and Fifth and part of the
One Hundred and Second routing a body of rebel cavalry between the last two named places)
reaching Milan on December 3d. Continuing the march towards Savannah, passing through
Springfield on the 7th, having a slight skirmish with guerrillas, arrived in the vicinity of
Savannah on the 10th. The One Hundred and Fifth being the advance that day, had a brisk
skirmish with the enemy's pickets, driving them within the defenses of the city. Participated in
the siege of Savannah. That city was evacuated on the night of the 20th of December. On the
31st of December 1864, and January 1, 1865, was occupied in crossing the Savannah River -losing
1 man by a musket shot from the enemy - moved five miles and encamped until the 4th of
January. Marched north to Hardee's farm, and again encamped, remaining until the 17th with
slight skirmishing at intervals. Moved to Hardeeville, remaining there until the 29th, when it
started on the Campaign of the Carolinas.

Moving northward, nothing of interest occurred until the 2d day of February, when the One
Hundred and Fifth, being in advance, encountered the enemy near Lawtonville strongly posted
behind barricades. It immediately charged the enemy, driving them from their position, through
the town - losing 8 men in the engagement.

Continued the march on the 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th, when the One Hundred and Fifth again
had the advance; has some slight skirmishing with Wade Hampton's cavalry. 8th, 9th and 10th
was engaged in tearing up railroad between Graham Station and Williston. From thence, crossed
the South and North Edisto Rivers, on the road to Columbia, arriving opposite that city on the
16th, after a very disagreeable march through swamps and marshes. Not being able to cross the
Congaree at that point, moved up the river, and crossed the Broad and Saluda Rivers, with unite
and form the Congaree. Marching northward, arrived at Winnsboro on the 21st. On the 22d, the
Regiment, again in the advance, had some skirmishing with Butler's rebel cavalry, and crossedthe

Wateree River. Reached Hanging Rock on the 27th, rested one day; 29th, moved northward,
arriving at Chesterfield, March 3d; at Cheraw, March 6th. Crossed Great Pedee and Lumber
Rivers, and arrived at Fayetteville, North Carolina, on the 11th. Resting three days, 15th, moved
in the direction of Raleigh, North Carolina, some ten miles, where it encountered the enemy,
heavily entrenched, near Averysboro. Then, on the 16th, followed the battle of Averysboro - the
enemy being driven from their position. The One Hundred and Fifth lost 6 killed and 16

On the 19th, 20th and 21st, took part in the engagement near Bentonville. The enemy evacuated
that place on the night of the 21st. Arrived at Goldsboro on the 24th. Thus, ended the
Campaign of the Carolinas.

Remained at Goldsboro until April 10th, 1865. Continued the march toward Raleigh, arriving at
Smithfield on the 11th, and at Raleigh, on the 13th, encountering but little opposition from the
enemy. Resting until the 25th, moved out some fourteen miles on the Holly Springs road, in the
direction of General Johnston's army. Encamped during the 26th and 27th. In the meantime,
General Johnston surrendered. On the 28th, returned to Raleigh and immediately began making
preparations for the homeward march.

On the 30th left Raleigh en route to Washington City via Richmond, passing through the latter
city on the 11th of May. Arrived in the vicinity of Alexandria, Virginia, on the 19th. Took part
in the grand review at Washington, on the 24th, where the Regiment received a compliment for
their movements in the manual of arms, and their military appearance.

Remained in the vicinity of Washington until the 7th of June, when the Regiment was mustered
out of the service, and started, by rail, for Chicago, Illinois, where it arrived on the 10th.
Remained at Camp Fry, until the 17th, when paid off and disbanded.

144th Illinois InfantryTop
The ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-FOURTH INFANTRY was organized at Alton, in 1864, as a one year
Regiment. It was mustered into the service October 21. Its strength, 1,159. Notwithstanding
diligent effort was made to obtain historical mention of the services of this Regiment, none was
sent into the office and hence it was not in our power to say anything authentic concerning the
campaign of the Regiment.

Its record in the office, however, shows that it was mustered out of the service July 14, 1865.